Monday, August 26, 2019

Figuring out food

Have you ever noticed that 95% of all nutritional information on the internet is a bunch of bullshit? Nobody seems to know what they're talking about and nothing works for everyone. Well maybe that's the answer? There is no objectively correct way to eat that is optimally healthy for every individual? That seems to be the case but I keep looking.

To me, it seems like a "Whole Foods" type diet is the way to go. No dairy, no added sugar, low sodium, high fiber... I'm a little skeptical of grains. I don't have celiac disease or any other allergy to grains (that I know of) but maybe it makes me feel like crap in other ways??? Hard to say.

I'm thinking about doing an elimination diet (whole30 style) to see if I have any specific foods or food groups that make me feel like trash.

This is NOT related to losing weight. As long as I stay in a caloric deficit, I'll lose weight. It doesn't really matter WHAT I'm eating if I'm only concerned about losing weight.

But I want to find my own optimal food plan for my body and my needs. As I ramp up my triathlon training over the next few years, I want to fuel my workouts effectively and minimize inflammation or digestive issues as much as I can.

And it's important that taking a break from it every now and again is no big deal. I figure if I'm sticking to it 80% of the time, the other 20% is for social/ fun moments in my life and that can be easily absorbed.

I set up an appointment to get allergy tested first, to see if there are any obvious things I should avoid eating. Then I'll try an elimination diet. Then I'll come up with something and tweak it as I go, depending on how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment